Gaffney – North Greenville men’s lacrosse dropped its first Conference Carolinas game of the season on Wednesday to #12 and perennial Conference Carolinas and national powerhouse Limestone College.
- Score: Crusaders – 6 / Saints – 17
- Records: North Greenville 6 – 6 (2 – 1) / Limestone 10 – 4 (5 – 0)
- Location: Saints Field (Limestone College)
How it Happened
- North Greenville had answers for the powerful Limestone offense early in the first quarter.
- After the Saints went up 2 – 0 the Crusaders got a pair of goals from Ethan Landreth who took passes from Austin Dixon and Matt Somjak to even it at 2 – 0.
- The Saints responded by scoring five unanswered goals including a pair in the first five minutes of the second period to take a 7 – 2 lead.
- North Greenville got back on track offensively with 10:04 left in the 2nd period when Ethan Landreth’s third score of the game cut the deficit to four goals (7 – 4).
- In the end, the Saints had too much firepower for the Crusaders and also kept NGU’s offense in check.
- Limestone scored the next six goals to advance its lead to 13 – 3 while holding NGU scoreless for almost 20 – minutes of game clock.
- Derrick Shealy scored NGU’s first goal of the second half with a one-timer at 7:55 that made it 13 – 4 in favor of the Saints.
- Limestone then tacked on four more scores to extend the lead to 17 – 4. Somjak tacked on his first of the game for North Greenville with 8:49 while Landreth’s fourth was the final score of the game and cut the Saints’ lead to 11.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- Landreth led North Greenville on offense with four goals on the day.
- Matt Somjak and Derrick Shealy also had a score.
- Braeden Dixon and Austin Dixon led the Crusaders with three groundballs each while four different players had a caused turnover.
- Braeden Dixon finished the night with 14 – saves in the net and while facing 31-total shots on goal and 46 shots in total.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders host another nationally ranked opponent in Mount Olive on Saturday afternoon at 1 pm.