North Greenville thumps Shorter in season opener
Rome, GA—North Greenville men’s lacrosse exploded out of the gates on Wednesday to take down Shorter 22 – 5 in the 2018 season opener.
- Score: NGU – 22 / Shorter – 5
- Records: NGU 1 – 0 / Shorter 0 – 2
- Location: Shorter University (Ben Brady Field)
How it Happened
- The two squads traded goals early on in the first half. Chris Carpenter and Austin Dixon scored for the Crusaders to make it 2-2 at the start of the second quarter.
- North Greenville then scored eight unanswered goals, a streak which extended into the third period. Chris Carpenter and Austin Zumbado both scored twice during this stretch which gave NGU a stranglehold on the contest.
- The Hawks tacked on a second goal at the 8:33 mark of the third quarter to cut the NGU lead to 10-3.
- The Crusaders answered with four straight goals including a pair from Ethan Landreth to go up 14-3.
- North Greenville answered another Shorter goal with another streak of eight unanswered scores. Austin Dixon scored three times during the stretch as NGU went up 22-5.
- Shorter tacked on one more goal in the final minutes of the game to cut North Greenville’s lead to 17.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- Austin Dixon led North Greenville with five goals and three assists on offense while Ethan Landreth also added five goals.
- Chris Carpenter added four goals and three assists of his own.
- Braeden Dixon was credited with the win, finishing the night with eight saves in 40:35-minutes of work.
Inside the Shorter Box Score
- Jordan Coates led the Hawks with two goals on the night while three others had three scores.
- Garry Robinson was issued the loss after allowing 17-goals while collecting 18-saves in 45-minutes of action.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders will host Coker College at 2 pm on Saturday afternoon in Pepsi Stadium.