Crusaders fall to Lander in five sets
Tigerville, S.C. – North Greenville’s opening weekend of competition continued on Saturday morning with a tough 3-2 loss to Lander University.
- Score: NGU – 2 Lander – 3
- Location: Newberry, South Carolina
- Records: NGU 0-3 / Lander 3-0
How it Happened
- North Greenville jumped out to a 2-0 set lead with a pair of wins, 25-21 and 25-20.
- The Crusaders held the Bearcats to a meager .053 hitting percentage in the first win, with 11-errors overall through the first two frames.
- The score remained close until North Greenville Katie McManaway’s kill gave the Crusaders an 11-6 lead.
- Hannah McManus extended the lead to 16-8 later on with an ace. The Bearcats cut the lead to three but Courtney Williamson ended the suspense with a kill to end the frame.
- NGU held a slight advantage in the second set, leading 20-19 but four consecutive kills extended the lead to 24-19. McManaway would put the game away with a kill to answer a Bearcat score to make it 25-20.
- Lander shifted the momentum of the game in the third set with a convincing 25-16 win and earned a close 26-24 victory in the fourth set to force a game five.
- North Greenville led by two in the deciding frame, using a kill from Samantha Hebb and an error by the Bearcats to lead 8-6.
Lander answered with three straight to take an 11-9 lead en route to a 15-10 win.
The Good Guys
- Kenzie Pierce and Courtney Williamson led the Crusaders with 15-kills each.
- Pierce along with Sara Miller added a pair of service aces. Miller also led the Crusaders with 56-assists.
- Miller was also a defensive fixture for NGU with 19-digs while Pierce and McManway added three assisted blocks.
The Other Team
- Hanna Hritz led the Bearcats with 17-digs.
- Kirstin Martindale scored 21-digs while Reyonia Whipple added seven assisted blocks.
Next Time Out
- North Greenville will wrap the busy weekend with a 5 pm first serve with UNC Pembroke.