Late goal lifts Lander over North Greenville
Tigerville, S.C. – NGU women’s soccer fell to Lander 1-0 on Thursday night in the team’s 2017 season opener.
- Score: NGU – 0 Lander – 1
- Location: Greenwood, South Carolina
- Records: North Greenville 0-1 Lander 1-0
How it happened
- The Bearcats fired off the first shots of the game, one of which was stopped by Madelynn Schober for her first save of the game.
- Karly Denaburg put NGU’s first shot on frame but Lander keeper Sarah Owen chalked her first save of the game. Denaburg would fire another shot that sailed left five minutes later.
- Lander put one more shot on frame in the first period but Schober kept the first half scoreless with her second save of the game.
- The teams traded shots in the opening minutes but neither NGU’s Lauren Prevett or Lander’s Jordan Thomas could break the scoreless tie as each keeper preserved a shutout.
- The 71st minute would provide the only goal of the game as Lander’s Devi Duhme found the net on a cross to give the Bearcats a 1-0 lead and the eventual win.
The Good Guys
- Madelynn Schober finished the game with seven saves, five of which came in the second half of Thursday’s game.
- The Crusaders finished the game with three shots on goal from three different players.
The other team
- Sarah Owen finished the night with three saves between the posts.
- The Bearcats finished with 19 total shots, eight of which were on frame.
Next time out
- The Crusaders will host Columbia College on Saturday afternoon at 12 pm.