Wilson, N.C. – North Greenville battled to the end but came up on the short end of a 72 – 71 decision to King University on Thursday night in the semi-finals of the Conference Carolinas tournament.
- Score: NGU – 71 / KU – 72
- Records: North Greenville 8 – 22 / King University 17 – 12
- Location: Barton College (Wilson Gymnasium)
How it Happened
- Neither team was able to gain much of an edge on Thursday as they faced each other for the third time this season.
- North Greenville’s largest lead of seven points came in the second period while the Tornado led by six points at the 9:43 mark, marking their largest of the night.
- North Greenville took the pole position after the first quarter but King outscored the Crusaders 20-14 in the second to take a 34 – 33 lead into halftime.
- North Greenville led by four with 2:17 left in the first half but the Tornado closed out the second quarter on a 7 – 3 run to put NGU in a very slim, halftime hole.
- North Greenville opened up the second period with a lead-grabbing three-pointer as Karen Donehew knocked down a triple to give NGU a 36 – 34 lead.
- The advantaged lasted only a short time though as the Tornado regained the lead, taking a 50 – 46 lead into the fourth quarter.
- The Crusaders responded to the Tornado much like they responded in the opening round against Limestone.
- Cameron Carter would knock down a pair of free throws to cut King’s then 52 – 59 lead to one point.
- NGU’s defense came through with a stop on King’s ensuing possession and Tyana Saunders capitalized on the situation with a score to give NGU the 53 – 52 lead.
- Donehew would knock down another big three-pointer on the next possession for the Crusaders to extend it to 58 – 52.
- North Greenville would hold serve until the 3:41 mark when Kori West evened it up at 60 a piece with free throws.
- The Tornado kept North Greenville at arm's length until late when Cameron Carter tied the game at 69 – 69 with more free throws.
- The final possession of King's went as planned as the Tornado inbounded the ball and scored a hoop and harm to take a three-point lead, leaving eight seconds left.
- Cameron Carter took the inbounds pass for North Greenville and pulled up at the top of the key to even the score but the shot came up short as she fought through contact with no call.
- Kathleen Rodgers would get one more look at the game-tying shot but the shot was wide. Bailey Breazeale cleaned it up with a putback but the clock ticked down, ending North Greenville’s season.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- Karen Donehew led the team with 24 – points to go along with a team-high six rebounds.
- Cameron Carter finished with 16 – points and was six of six from the charity stripe. Tyana Saunders finished with nine points and a pair of assists.
- The Crusaders shot 33.3-percent for the game from the field and was six of 22 from three-point range.
Inside the King Box Score
- The Tornado were led by Kori West who finished with 18-points and 16-rebounds. Kristen Couples had 12-points while Che’ Davis had 11.
- The Tornado shot 33-percent from the field as well and were five of 16 from three-point range.