Gaffney, S.C. – North Greenville women’s basketball eliminated the #1 seed in the Conference Carolinas playoffs on Monday night upsetting Limestone College 57-56 in the Timken Center.
- Score: NGU – 57 / LC – 56
- Records: North Greenville 8 – 20 / Limestone 23 – 5
- Location: Limestone College (Timken Center)
How it Happened
- The Crusaders played scrappily and forced the league-leading Saints to turn the ball over 18-times through four quarters of play.
- The Saints turnovers lead to 17-points for the Crusaders. Limestone also benefitted from 27 NGU turnovers which led to 30-points.
- The Crusaders also overcame a huge disparity in free throws, appearing at the line just eight times while the Saints finished with 25-attempts from the charity stripe.
- North Greenville finished the first quarter in the lead as Ayano Shelton’s three-pointer made it 18-15. The Saints knocked down a pair of free throws at the end to pull to within one.
- Limestone opened up the second quarter on a 9 – 0 run to take a 26 – 19 lead.
- Limestone led by as many as 10-points in the quarter but NGU put together a late surge sparked by a pair of threes from Kathleen Rodgers to make it 33 – 30 at the half, limestone leading.
- Limestone continued to lead throughout the third quarter but Greenville kept it close and trailed by just one heading into the fourth.
- The momentum quickly changed as the fourth quarter got underway when Karen Donehew splashed a three-ball to give NGU a two-point, 44 – 42 lead.
- After a limestone two tied it up, NGU got another big shot from Bree Stoddard who cashed in another three to give the Crusaders a 47 – 44 lead.
- The Crusaders remained ahead until late in the quarter when Limestone scored eight consecutive points to take a 56 – 50 lead with 3:03 left on the clock.
- Cameron Carter would come up big for The Crusaders with five unanswered points including a three-pointer and a tough lay-up in the paint to pull North Greenville to within one.
- The Saints had an opportunity to pad their lead with a score on their next possession but a charge called on Jasmine Richardson gave NGU the ball with 43-seconds left.
- The Crusaders took full advantage of the opportunity as Karen Donehew took the pass on the block and scored the bucket to give NGU a one-point lead with 16-seconds left.
- The Saints had two shots at the winning shot but NGU’s defense came through once more. Kyli Schmidt denied the first inbounds pass and ran off seven seconds before a foul was called on NGU during a loose ball situation.
- The Crusaders bowed their back once more in the final nine-seconds defending the inbounds pass and denying the saints an open look. A contested limestone shot was wide as NGU secured the upset.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- The Crusaders shot 37-percent from the field on Monday but got it done from deep, shooting 44-percent hitting 11 triples.
- Freshman Bree Stoddard led the team with 11-points including three of five makes from three-point range. She also had six rebounds.
- Cameron Carter finished with 10-points on the night while Kathleen Rodgers had nine. Karen Donehew finished with eight points.
Inside the Limestone Box Score
- Keidra Smith had 25-points to lead all scorers. Smith accounted for 44-percent of Limestone’s offense on Monday Night.
- The Saints shot just 29.5-percent from the field during the loss and hit just five of 25 three-pointers.
Beyond the Box Score
- The win over Limestone on Monday was the first program win over the Saints since joining the league in 2011.
- Both the #1 and #2 seeds in the Conference Carolinas tournament were upset on Monday as Belmont Abbey was taken down by Erskine.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders move on to the final four to take on the #4 seed King Tornado on Thursday night, March 1st at 7:30 pm.