Tigerville, S.C. – North Greenville women’s basketball came up big for its seniors on senior night, downing Belmont Abbey College 87-72.
- Score: NGU – 87 / BAC – 72
- Records: North Greenville 6 – 18 (5 – 12) / Belmont Abbey 17 – 8 (14 – 4)
- Location: Tigerville, South Carolina (Hayes Gymnasium)
How It Happened
- Belmont Abbey led by as many as 17-points in the first half when Allie Downing made it 30 – 13 when she knocked down the front end of a pair of free throws.
- North Greenville answered in the second half cutting the deficit to nine points on a Karen Donehew lay-up.
- The Crusaders later cut the BAC lead to four but trailed by eight points at the half as Abbey closed the half on a quick 4 – 0 run.
- North Greenville’s momentum carried over into the second half, outscoring Belmont Abbey 17-5 in the first six minutes of the third quarter.
- A three-pointer from Cameron Carter gave NGU a 50 – 48 lead the first of the game for NGU.
- North Greenville began to put the game out of reach at the end of the third quarter and into the fourth.
- The Crusaders closed the third period with a pair of lay-ups from Tyana Saunders to take a nine-point edge into the final period of play.
- North Greenville would lead by as many as 19-points in the fourth quarter, a lead which came twice, when Saunders knocked down another lay-in to make it 85 – 66 and again when Bailey Breazeale scored on a mid-range jumper to make it 87-68.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- North Greenville scored just 13-points in the first quarter but outscored the BAC Crusaders 74 – 42 in the final three periods.
- Savanannah Hughes led the way with 21-points for North Greenville to go along with five rebounds and a pair of assists.
- Karen Donehew finished with 20-points and five rebounds with a game high six dimes while Cameron Carter had 11-points on her final game in Hayes Gymnasium.
- Bailey Breazeale also scored in double-digits with 10-points and five rebounds.
- The Crusaders shot 46.5-percent as a team with seven players scoring at least three points.
- North Greenville took full advantage of second opportunities scoring 26-points on put backs while collecting 16 offensive rebounds.
Inside the Belmont Abbey Box Score
- Hannah Roney led the Crusaders from up north with 17-points on the night.
- Allie Downing scored 14-points while three other players had 13.
Next Time Out
- North Greenville will travel to Due West, South Carolina on Saturday to take on Erskine College at 2 pm.