Mount Olive, N.C. – North Greenville took down Mount Olive on Saturday 87-85 on Saturday in a closely contested Conference Carolinas Showdown.
- Score: NGU – 87 / UMO – 85
- Records: NGU 5 – 16 (4 – 10) / 9 – 14 (7 – 8)
- Location: Mount Olive, North Carolina (Kornegay Arena)
How it Happened
- The Crusaders shot 50-percent from the field and an impressive 40-percent from three-point range.
- Mount Olive burst out of the gates in the first period to take a 36-19 lead. The advantage was extended to 20-points with a bucket to open up the second quarter.
- North Greenville responded with a big second quarter. Bree Stoddard cut the deficit to 12 with a three-pointer at the midway point while a Bailey Breazeale scored in the final seconds to pull NGU closer.
- The Crusaders trailed 51-46 at halftime after a last-second three-pointer for Mount Olive fell short.
- North Greenville pulled ahead for the first time in the game a few minutes into the third period when Karen Donehew’s three-pointer made it 56-54 with 6:41 remaining in the third.
- The final few minutes of the third and the entire fourth quarter saw several lead changes and ties before the Crusaders gained the lead for good with 35-seconds left.
- The Trojans took a brief lead with a three-pointer to make it 85-84 but Kathleen Rodgers responded for North Greenville with a three-pointer of her own to put the traveling Crusaders up by two.
- The Trojans had one more shot at escaping with a win but a missed three-pointer gave NGU the final possession and the opportunity to run out the clock.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- Karen Donehew led North Greenville in points and rebounds with 20 and nine.
- Bree Stoddard finished the night with 19-points and was an impressive five-of-eight from three-point range.
- Bailey Breazeale scored 12-points for the Crusaders with seven rebounds.
Inside the Mount Olive Box Score
- Felicity Havens led all scorers with 39-points and was seven-of-11 from three-point range.
- Ni’Ya Styles scored 24-points while Jada Bacchus had 10-points and 13-rebounds for a double-double.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders host King University on Tuesday night at 5:30 pm.