Tigerville, S.C. – Emmanuel College stormed back in the second half on Wednesday night erasing a 17-point deficit to down North Greenville 73-70 in Hayes Gymnasium.
- Score: NGU – 70 / Emmanuel – 73
- Records: NGU 4 – 16 (3 – 10) / Emmanuel 11 – 7 (6 – 6)
- Location: Tigerville, South Carolina (Hayes Gymnasium)
How it Happened
- The Crusaders shot 50-percent in the first half while the Lions put on one of their worst shooting performances of the season, knocking down just 30-percent of their shots.
- North Greenville took advantage, storming out to a 15-point edge at the end of the second quarter. A pair of free throws from Karen Donehew with no time left on the clock made the score 37-22 in favor of the Crusaders.
- Donehew led all first-half scorers with 15-points. The next closest to North Greenville was Savannah Hughes who had six points in the opening two frames.
- The Crusaders took their largest lead of the night at the 9:52 mark of the third quarter when Natalie Averett’s jumper fell to make the score 39-22.
- The Emmanuel offense then began to pick up steam. The Lions Trailed 44-28 with 7:04 left in the third but scored on their next six possessions to cut the once double-digit lead to two points.
- The Crusaders got a three-pointer from Bree Stoddard to make it five points, but Emmanuel capped a 17-3 run with a layup from Taylor Delasbour to even the score at 47-47, the first tie since the first quarter.
- The NGU lead would be three as the two teams headed into the fourth quarter.
- There would be three lead changes and four ties in the fourth period as Emmanuel’s offense continued to click.
- The Crusaders trailed for much of the period before Karen Donehew’s jumper made it 70-70 with 20-seconds left.
- North Greenville was the beneficiary of an EC turnover 10-seconds later but returned the favor with a turnover on offense.
- The Lions were able to take advantage, inbounding the ball and knocking down a three-pointer from Emily Dreslinski to knock off the Crusaders.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- Donehew finished the night as the game’s leading scorer with 19-points and a team-high seven rebounds. She also added a team-high four assists.
- Bree Stoddard and Savannah Hughes finished the night with 11-points each.
- The Crusaders finished the night shooting 47.5-percent from the field.
Inside the Emmanuel College Box Score
- Mikayla Trombley finished as EC’s leading scorer with 17-points. Taylor Delasbour and Marina Bendal both had 13-points while Emily Dreslinski tacked on 11.
- The Lions rebounded from a cold first half on offense to shoot 52.5-percent from the field. They also benefitted from 24-turnovers from North Greenville which led to 20-points.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders take the show on the road to face Mount Olive on Saturday at 5 pm in Mount Olive, North Carolina.