Tigerville, S.C. – North Greenville broke out the black uniforms on Friday night and Cameron Carter etched her named in the North Greenville record books as NGU earned a 77-73 win over Converse College.
- Score: NGU – 77 / Converse – 73
- Location: Hayes Gymnasium (Tigerville, South Carolina)
- Records: North Greenville 3 - 9 (2-3) / Converse 5-8 (1-4)
How it Happened
- The Crusaders trailed the Valkyries by seven early on in the game. A pair of free throws from Karen Donehew cut the deficit to five.
- Donehew trimmed the lead even more on NGU’s next possession, knocking down a three-pointer to make it 11-9 in favor of Converse.
- North Greenville worked the advantage to seven points but saw it dwindle to just two points later in the second when Brianna James knocked down a three-pointer to make it 36-34 with 1:29 left in the frame.
- The Crusaders answered on the next possession with a pair of free throws from Ayano Shelton and another pair from Donehew take a six-point lead into intermission.
- North Greenville didn’t trail in the second half until the midway point of the fourth quarter when another triple from Converse, this time from Ashley Sides.
- The Crusaders trailed 71-70 later on in the fourth before Kyli Schmidt capitalized on a layup and free throw to give NGU a three-point edge.
- Savannah Hughes then extended the lead to four points with just over a minute left in the game.
- The Valkyries scored on their next trip down the floor to make it a one-possession game at 75-73 but were unable to score the equalizer.
- Karen Donehew tacked on another pair of free throws with three seconds left and a last-second three-pointer came up empty as NGU earned its third league win of the season.
Inside the NGU Box Score
- Karen Donehew led all scorers with a season-high 31-points to go with seven rebounds.
- Ayano Shelton was the next highest scorer for the Crusaders with eight points and six rebounds.
- North Greenville shot 36.1-percent from the field and 30.4-percent from three-point range.
Inside the Converse Box Score
- Brianna James finished the night as Converse’s leading scorer with 24-points to go along with a game-high nine rebounds.
- Abigail Lewis tacked on 18-points while Ashley Sides had 14 respectively.
- Cameron Carter reached 1,000 career points in the second half, knocking down a three-pointer to increase North Greenville’s lead.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders continue a busy weekend on Saturday when they welcome defending league champion Limestone College to Tigerville for a 5:30 pm tipoff.