North Greenville falls short at Belmont Abbey
Belmont, N.C. -- North Greenville fell to 0-7 overall and 0-3 in Conference Carolinas play following a 73-66 loss to Belmont Abbey College.
- Score: NGU – 66 / Belmont Abbey – 73
- Location: Belmont Abbey College (Belmont, North Carolina)
- Records: North Greenville 0-7 (0-3) / Belmont Abbey 4-3 (2-0)
How it Happened
- The Crusaders led by as many as 11-points in the first half when a Karen Donehew lay-in made it 23-12 with 8:30 until break.
- Abbey began to chip away at the deficit, eventually taking the lead in the final seconds of the second quarter when Irelynn Davisson knocked down a pair of free throws to make it 32-31.
- The Crusaders closed the half on a 10-0 run to put North Greenville behind before halftime.
- Abbey held the lead until later in the third period when North Greenville evened it up at 45-45 and at 47-47 a couple minutes later.
- Abbey once again had an answer for North Greenville, regaining the edge with a 12-2 outburst to take a 10-point lead with 7:33 left in the game.
- The Crusaders were able to pull to within three of BAC a couple times on the heels of a Khara Herring layup and a Kathleen Rodgers three pointer, leaving NGU trailing 64-61 with 3:39 left.
- NGU would run out of steam down the stretch though, scoring just once more in the final two minutes of play while Belmont Abbey was able to tack on nine more to finish out the win.
The Good Guys
- Karen Donehew had a big night for North Greenville with 24-points including a four of nine performance from three-point range. Donehew also aided the offense with six assists and six rebounds.
- Khara Herring had her best game of the season with 10-points while Savannah Hughes and Bailey Breazeale both had eight points.
- North Greenville shot 39.4-percent as a team.
- The Belmont Abbey Crusaders
- The Crusaders had five players in double-figures including Keyanna Spivey who led the team with 14-points off the bench.
- Maria Kuhlman finished with 13-points while Emry Tsitouris had 11-points.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders will hit the road again for a 6pm tipoff with Queens in Charlotte on December 6th.