Crusaders can't hold on as King pulls away late
Bristol, TN—North Greenville fell to 0-2 in Conference Carolinas play after a 67-56 loss to King University on Tuesday night.
- Score: NGU – 56 / King – 67
- Location: King University (Bristol, Tennessee)
- Records: North Greenville 0-6 (0-2) / King University 3-3 (1-0)
How it Happened
- Both teams struggled on the offensive end of the court as North Greenville was just 19-59 (32.2-Percent) while the Tornado knocked down 25 of their 64 shots (39.1-percent).
- North Greenville held an 18-13 edge after one quarter. The lead stood for North Greenville until the 7:19-mark of the second period when Arielle Holloway laid it up to give King its first lead of the day at 20-18.
- The Crusaders weren’t behind long. Ayano Shelton answered with a three to regain a 21-20 advantage while Savannah Hughes added a lay-up to cap a 9-0 North Greenville run.
- NGU remained out front the midway point of the third quarter when the Tornado knocked down a pair of free-throws to take a 41-40 lead.
- The next points wouldn’t be scored until four minutes later when the Tornado added another free-throw to take a two-point edge. Bailey Breazeale would even it at 42-42 with a bucket as the game reached the fourth quarter.
- The Tornado opened up a four-point lead on North Greenville to open up the fourth. The Crusaders cut it to two points but a 6-0 run from King made it 52-44 with 6:25 left.
- Bree Stoddard would cut the King lead to just five but NGU ran out of answers down the stretch as King Pulled away scoring 15 of the final 24-points.
The Good Guys
- Bree Stoddard led the way with 13-points on 4-6 shooting. She was 1-3 from three-point range.
- Bailey Breazeale finished the night with 10-points to go along with six rebounds and a pair of blocks.
- The King Tornado
Kristen Couples led all scorers on the night with 20-points. She also collected six rebounds and two assists.
- Ali Golden was the other double-figure scorer for King with 10-points.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders will travel to Belmont Abbey on Saturday afternoon to take on Belmont Abbey at 2 pm.