Crusaders edged by North Georgia in season opener
Florence, S.C. —North Greenville fought to overcome a slow offensive start on Friday night but came up on the short end of a 65-61 decision to North Georgia.
- Score: NGU – 61 / UNG– 65
- Location: Francis Marion University (Florence, South Carolina)
- Records: North Greenville 0 – 1 / North Georgia 1 – 0
How it Happened
- North Greenville shot just 31.5-percent as a team but turned it on down the stretch.
- The Hawks led the entire time, eventually taking a 21-point edge in the fourth quarter when a layup made it 45-24 with 5:30 left in the third period.
- North Greenville chipped away at the deficit but still trailed by 17 as the third period came to a close.
- The Crusaders came out firing in the fourth quarter as shots from Ayano Shelton and Karen Donehew sparked an NGU run which cut the lead down to 56-46 with 5:33 left tot play.
- Shelton would strike again later in the quarter, knocking down a three-pointer to make the score 60-59 as the clock ticked down.
- The Night Hawks would keep NGU in check though capitalizing on free throws in the final seconds of the game to secure the win.
The Good Guys
- Karen Donehew and Ayano Shelton led the team as the only double-digit scorers. Donehew led the team with 19-points while Shelton had 12.
- Elizabeth Trentham added seven points while Briana Mann added seven points off the bench.
The Other Team
- Mackenzie Darrah and Deana Blankenship led the Nighthawks with 15-points each. Blankenship added a team-high nine rebounds.
- Amber Skidgel also scored in the double-digits with 11-points.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders will take on Francis Marion at 7:30 pm in Florence.