Burlington – North Greenville ended the first day of tournament play in perfect shape with wins over Belmont Abbey and Mount Olive in the first and second rounds of the Conference Carolinas Championships.
- Game One: Crusaders – 3 / Crusader (BAC) – 0
- Game Two: Crusaders – 1 / Trojans – 0
- Location: Springwood Park Complex (Burlington, North Carolina)
How it Happened (Game One)
- Amanda Coffrin kept the Abbey bats in check during Friday’s opening round game, allowing just four hits.
- The Crusaders (BAC) finished 0 – 3 with runners in scoring position and stranded four during the seven-inning contest.
- Abbey had its chance to break it open in the third inning loading the bases with two outs but Coffrin dealt the Crusaders a groundout to end the threat.
- North Greenville took advantage of the opening scoring the game’s first run in the home half of the third. A Brooke Wade triple set the table as she came in to score on Hannah Gravely’s RBI groundout to make it 1 – 0.
- North Greenville gripped the slim one-run lead until the sixth inning when Kate Lee’s double to right center scored Taylor Koon and Haley Gray to give NGU a 3 – 0 lead.
- Coffrin slammed the door in the visitor’s half of the seventh inning sitting Abbey down in order including a strikeout for the final out of the game.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- Coffrin finished with six strikeouts in the game one win and improved to 20 – 4 on the season as the starter.
- Taylor Koon finished 2 for 3 with a run scored while Brook Wade finished 1 for 2 with a run scored.
- Kate Lee led the Crusaders with two RBI and was 1 for 3 from the dish.
How it Happened (Game Two)
- Jaelin Griffin went the distance for the Crusaders in game two, just her fourth complete game of the season.
- Griffin turned in a gem for NGU, holding the Trojans of Mount Olive to just five hits and leaving four stranded.
- North Greenville’s bats also struggled in the game two victory but the Crusaders got the clutch hit when it was needed.
- Celsea Rivers delivered the game-winning blow in the bottom of the sixth inning, a solo shot to left field which put NGU up 1 – 0.
- Rivers’ blast was the fifth hit for NGU and her fourth homer of the season.
- The Trojans had some fight left though and put two runners on in their half of the seventh inning with just one out.
- The runners advanced to second and third but Griffin got a fielder’s choice groundout and a fly out to center field to end the game and put NGU in the driver’s seat heading into Saturday’s games.
Inside the North Greenville box Score
- Rivers finished the game 1 for 3 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Kate Lee finished 2 for 2 while Ashton Withers went 2 for 3.
- Griffing improved to 7 – 5 as the starter and struck out six in the complete-game victory.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders will play the winner of #1 Limestone and #4 King at 2 PM on field one.