Tigerville, S.C. - North Greenville softball braved the cold and rain on Tuesday to sweep Emmanuel College 8 - 2 and 5 - 0 in the first Conference Carolinas series of the season.
- Game One: NGU - 8 / EC - 2
- Game Two: NGU - 5 / EC - 0
- Records: North Greenville 12 - 6 (2 - 0) / Emmanuel 5 - 9 (0 - 2)
- Location: Tigerville, South Carolina (Jan McDonald Field)
How it Happened (Game one)
- Pitchers struggled in the early goings of game one as a wet softball made for less than ideal pitching conditions.
- The Crusaders drew first blood when Brooklyn Stone came across to score after Ashton Withers was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded.
- North Greenville would strand three runners in the first inning, leaving the score at 1 - 0 and the ions would take advantage with a pair in the third to take a 2 - 1 lead. A Bases loaded walk and an RBI single would do the damage but Coffrin would work around any more trouble by coaxing a two-out pop-up to end the frame.
- The Crusaders were rewarded with their patience in the home half of the third with another bases-loaded walk to even it at 2 - 2. Grace DeBoer would get credit for the RBI as Jaelin Griffin would cross to even it up.
- The Crusaders found themselves in front again in the third, taking advantage of an Emmanuel fielding error to make it 3 - 2.
- A Withers double would plate three more for North Greenville as the Crusaders broke it open in the sixth inning.
- Withers would later come around to score on a DeBoer single while Kate Lee made it 8 - 2 with her run-scoring single.
- The Lions would threaten in the top of the seventh with bases loaded but Coffrin would slam the door shut with her sixth strikeout of the game to set the table for the first conference sweep of the season.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- North Greenville finished with eight runs on eight hits in game one. NGU was also very selective coaxing six walks.
- Grace DeBoer led NGU with two hits in three plate appearances. She also scored twice and two runs batted in.
- Jaelin Griffin was a perfect two of two at the plate with a pair of walks. Griffin capped the first game with a run scored.
- Amanda Coffrin improved to 8 - 1 as a starter and left 13, Emmanuel runners on base. The Lions were also had just one hit with runners in scoring position on 10 chances.
How it Happened (Game Two)
- The Crusaders once again struck first in game two as Griffin would tack on a pair of RBI to her stat line with a single off the right-field fence. Stone and Celsea Rivers would come around to score to make it 2 - 0.
- Brooke Wade's second-inning infield single scored Haley Gray while Griffin earned her second RBI of the game to make it 4 - 0 on an RBI fielder's choice.
- Haley Gray would come across to score the final run of the game for North Greenville in the sixth inning on a perfectly placed bunt by Celsea Rivers that made it 5 - 0.
- The Lions were never able to get the bats going as Brooklyn Fort threw her first complete game of the season after coming back from injury.
- Fort left four runners stranded for the Lions and allowed just two base hits. The other two runners for EC reached on NGU fielding errors.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- NGU's five, game two runs came on 10 - hits including a pair from Jaelin Griffin who was two for three with a game-high three RBI.
- Haley Gray finished two for three with two runs scored while Celsea Rivers and Brooklyn Stone also had two hits and a run scored.
- Fort finished with four strikeouts with zero free passes. The game two win was her first of the season. She threw 84-pitches, 61 of which were strikes.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders will have a couple days to regroup before heading to Banner-Elk, North Carolina to take on Lees-McRae in a conference doubleheader beginning at 1 pm.