Tigerville, S.C. – The reigning Conference Carolinas Champions opened up the 2018 softball season on Tuesday afternoon, taking down Wingate University 1-0 and 4-3 in non-conference action.
- Game One Score: NGU – 1 / Wingate – 0
- Game Two Score: NGU – 3 / Wingate – 3
- Records: NGU 2-0 / Wingate 1 – 2
- Location: North Greenville University (Jan McDonald Field)
- Amanda Coffrin pitched a gem in her first outing of the season, allowing just two hits in seven innings of work. Coffrin also retired 10-batter via the strikeout.
- The Crusaders got on the board in the second inning when Taylor Koon singled in Celsea Rivers on a liner right field. NGU would strand two runners in the inning.
- The Bulldogs stranded runners in each of the third, fourth, fifth and seventh innings and were 0-4 with runners in scoring position.
- North Greenville finished the first game with three hits and four left on base.
Game One Box Score
- Taylor Koon and Ashton Withers had their first collegiate hits. Koon also tacked on her first RBI as a Crusaders.
- Celsea Rivers was 1-3 with a double and the game’s only run.
- Amanda Coffrin earned the first victory of the season in the circle.
- Wingate scratched its first run of the day in the second inning on an RBI single by Taylor Wells.
- North Greenville trailed until the third inning when Grace DeBoer doubled in Ashton Withers to even it at 1-1.
- The Crusaders took the lead in the next frame when Jaelin Griffin flew out to left field, bringing home Kate Lee on the sacrifice, making it 2-1.
- Wingate tied it up in the sixth and pulled ahead in the seventh on an RBI infield single and a solo Homer from Aubrey Reep which put North Greenville in a 3-2 hole.
- Brooklyn Stone reached base in the bottom of the seventh to represent the game’s tying run. A stolen base moved her to second before Grace DeBoer ended the game in walk-off fashion, smashing a two-run homer to left field to earn NGU the season-opening sweep.
Game Two Box Score
- MacKenzie Dyson got the game two win, her first as a collegiate pitcher. Dyson tossed two innings and allowed three hits and a pair of runs.
- Grace DeBoer finished the game with a 2-3 showing with a homer and three RBI.
- Brooklyn Stone and Ashton Withers were also 2-3 with a run scored. Kate Lee finished 1-3 with a score.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders will host Anderson University on Saturday in a double header scheduled for a 1 pm start time with weather permitting.