BELMONT, N.C. - North Greenville was able to force a fifth set, but fell just short, dropping to Belmont Abbey in five sets (25-20, 19-25, 16-25, 25-22, 11-15).
- Score: North Greenville – 2 / Belmont Abbey - 3
- Records: NGU 7-9; 3-5 CC / BAC 5-8; 4-4
- Location: Belmont, North Carolina (Wheeler Center)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Two blocks in a row by Matthew McManaway and Jackson Gilbert gave NGU a 5-4 lead. North Greenville would later go on a 3-0 run to take a 15-12 lead. A block by Jackson Gilbert and Ben Hamsho and a kill by Aaron Campbell would give NGU the final points of the set, taking a 25-20 victory.
The first half of the set saw seven tied scores before Belmont Abbey would go on a 5-1 run to take a 16-12 lead. Block by Gavin Schaffer and William Morris and a service error for Brennan Davis gave BAC a 25-19 set win. Tying the match up at one set apiece.
North Greenville would jump out to an early 5-2 lead, but then Belmont Abbey would manager to go on 5-0 run to take a 7-6 lead. BAC would later go on a 4-0 run to increase their lead to 12-9. Belmont Abbey ended the set on a six-point run, taking a 25-16 set win.
With the help of tough serving by Aaron Campell and Jackson Gilbert, NGU once again jumped out to an early 11-6 lead. A 3-0 run by NGU would increase their lead to 15-8. Belmont Abbey was forced to call a timeout as a kill by Aaron Campbell gave North Greenville a 19-12 lead. BAC went on a 5-2 run to cut NGU lead down to 22-20. An attacking error by Gavin Schaffer gave NGU a 25-22 victory, forcing a crucial fifth set.
Belmont Abbey took a 6-4 lead to start the final set of the night. A kill by Jackson Gilbert cut into BAC's lead, 10-12, but a service error by Gilbert would end the match for NGU as Belmont Abbey took a 15-11 win and the match win.
INSIDE THE NGU BOX SCORE
- Kills: Campbell (13), Gilbert (10), Hamsho (9), McManaway (9)
- Assists: Boldog (39)
- Digs: King (11), Boldog (8), Gilbert (7)
- Blocks: Gilbert (5), Hamsho (3), McManaway (3)
INSIDE THE BAC BOX SCORE
- Kills: Maxwell (24), Pliapol (12)
- Assists: Davis (43)
- Digs: Schaffer (9)
- Blocks: Morris (4)
NEXT TIME OUT
- North Greenville has a week-long break as their next match isn't till next Wednesday, February 28th. The Crusaders welcome the Flying Fleet of Erskine College in Hayes Gymnasium at 7:00 PM.