DUE WEST, S.C.- North Greenville took down Erskine College in four sets in their first Conference Carolinas action of the season (24-26, 26-24, 25-19, 25-18).
- Score: NGU – 3 / Erskine – 1
- Records: NGU 2-4 / EC 0-4
- Location: Due West, S.C. (Belk Arena)
How it Happened
- Being down 9-10, the Crusaders went on a 3-0 run to take a 12-10 lead in the set. A pair of service aces by Ben Hamsho would then give NGU a 15-11 lead. A kill by Josh Bragg tied the score at 19 late in the set. An attacking error by Colton Rosendahi gave the Crusaders a 23-21 lead, but the Flying Feet wouldn't give up. A service error by Jackson Gilbert and then a serving ace by JP Payne gave Erskine a 25-24 forcing North Greenville to call a timeout. A final kill by Absalon Williams gave the Flying Feet a 26-24 set one win.
- The Crusaders took an early 9-2 lead early in the second set with a pair of kills and blocks by Jackson Gilbert. Two attacking errors in a row by NGU helped EC tied the game up at 18-18. The final few points saw five tied scores as a kill by Jake Boldog gave the Crusaders a 26-24 set win, tying the game at one set apiece.
- North Greenville carried their momentum into the third set with a kill by Matthew McManaway giving them a 6-3 lead to start off the set. The Flying Fleet would chip away at the Crusaders lead tying it up at 9-9 with a kill by Josh Bragg. NGU would then go on a 4-0 run with a pair of kills by Ben Hamsho and Aaron Campbell to take a 13-9 lead. Once again, the Flying Fleet wouldn't go down without a fight tying the score at 18-18 forcing the Crusaders to call a timeout. This time, NGU went on a 3-0 run to take a 21-18 lead, causing EC to call the timeout. A kill by Ben Hamsho gave the Crusaders a 25-19 set three victory, putting them up 2-1 in the match.
- A kill by Hamsho gave NGU an 11-7 lead to start the fourth set. With the scored tied at 13-13, a kill by Grayson Lawrence gave the Crusaders a 14-13 lead. Jake Boldog finished the match with a kill, giving the Crusaders a 25-18 set win and match point.
Inside the NGU Box Score
- Ben Hamsho led the Crusaders with 15 kills and 5 blocks.
- Matthew McManaway added 11 kills to go along with 5 blocks, Jackson Gilbert added 10 kills.
- Jake Boldog dished out 41 assists.
- Dustin King led the Crusaders defensively with 15 digs, while Boldog 11 added, and Gilbert 10 with digs.
- NGU had a total of team 12 blocks.
Inside the Erskine Box Score
- Josh Bragg led the Flying Fleet with 16 kills, while Kevin Braceros added 11 kills.
- Matt Friddle dished out 38 assists.
- Bryan Cardozo finished with 20 digs, while Bragg added 11 digs.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders finally return home to host Alderson-Broaddus University in Hayes Gymnasium at 7:00 pm on Friday, January 26th.