CHARLESTON, WV - Sophmore Jackson Gilbert led all players with 13-kills, but the Crusaders still fell to the Charleston (WV) Golden Eagles in straight sets (19-25, 23-25, 22-25).
- Score: NGU – 0 / Charleston (WV) – 3
- Records: NGU 2-4 / UC 3-0
- Location: Charleston, WV (Wehrle Innovation Center)
How it Happened
- After being down 5-2 in the first set, the Crusaders tied it up at 5-5 with a kill by Jackson Gilbert. Charleston then went on a 6-0 run to grab control of the set taking a 13-6 lead. The Golden Eagles would go ahead and take a 25-19 victory in the first set. Gilbert led the Crusaders with five kills in the set to go along with an ace.
- Charleston carried their first set win momentum to the second set, jumping out to a 15-8 lead, but North Greenville wouldn't give up so easily. Kills by Jackson Gilbert and Matthew McManaway helped the Crusader take a late 19-18 lead in set two, but they weren't able to hold on to the lead, as Rayn Santos responded with three kills for UC to take a 25-23 set win and go ahead of NGU 2-0.
- Set three looked a lot like set two. The Golden Eagles took another early eight-point lead, up 17-9 over the Crusaders, but once again NGU battled back from the deficit. An ace by Jake Boldog brought the Crusaders to within four, 20-24, but the Golden Eagle held on to take a 25-23 set win.
Inside the NGU Box Score
- For the second night in a row, Jackson Gilbert led all players with 13 kills hitting .345 for the match.
- Matthew McManaway added 6 kills to go along with 2 solo blocks and 1 block assist.
- Jake Boldog finished with 22 assist and 7 digs.
- Dustin King added 7 digs.
Inside the Charleston Box Score
- Brandon Greenway and Max Senica lead the Golden Eagles with 10 kills each.
- Darrin DePellegrini and Greenway both finished with 9 digs.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders finish up their five-game road swing with their first Conference Carolinas match of the season, traveling to Erskine College. First serve is set for 7:00 pm.