North Greenville Falls to #13 Grand Canyon
NASHVILLE, TN- North Greenville fell to #13 Grand Canyon in straight sets in Off the Block's inaugural Grow the Game Challenge (11-25, 14-25, 11-25).
- Score: NGU – 0 / Grand Canyon – 3
- Records: NGU 1 – 2 / Grand Canyon 4-0
- Location: Nashville, TN (Allen Arena)
How it Happened
- The Crusaders started off the first taking an early 3-1 lead over the #13 Lopes. With the score tied at 5-5, the Lopes went on a 4-0 run forcing the Crusaders to call their first timeout of the match. A kill by setter Jake Boldog ended another 4-0 run for the Lopes bringing the score to 13-7. Once again #13 Grand Canyon went on a 6-0 run to take a 19-7 lead. A kill by Ashton King gave the Lopes a 25-11 set one win.
- Grand Canyon carried their momentum into the second set, getting a 4-1 lead. The Crusaders were able to come within one point as a kill by Jackson Gilbert brought the score to 11-10. A kill by Kyle Brandt ended a 5-0 run for the Lopes, bringing the score to 17-12. An attack error by Aaron Campbell ended the second set, giving Grand Canyon a 25-14 set two win.
- In the final set of the night, the Lopes were off to a 3-1 start before a block by Matthew McManaway and Jackson Gilbert tied it up at 3 apiece. A kill by Grayson Lawrence stopped a 4-0 run for the Lopes, but it didn't stop them for long as they went on another 5-0 run to take an 18-8 lead. One final kill by #13 Grand Canyon gave them the third set win.
Inside the NGU Box Score
- Jackson Gilbert led the Crusaders with 7-kills.
- Grayson Lawrence and Matthew McManaway both added 4-kills.
- Jake Boldog dished out 18-assists.
- Dustin King led the Crusaders with 4-digs.
- The Crusaders finished with a total of 17 attacking errors.
Inside the Queens Box Score
- Shaley Saada had 7-kills with a .417 attacking percentage.
- Zachary Melcher led all players with 25-assists.
- Cullen Mosher added 6-kills and 7-digs.
- The Lopes had an impressive .578 hitting percentage as a team.
Next Time Out
- North Greenville has a quick turn around as they face Lindenwood University at 2:00 pm in day two of the Grow the Game Challenge.