North Greenville upended by Ohio State in season opener
Columbus, OH – North Greenville came up short on Saturday night, falling to Ohio State University 3-0 (13 – 25, 18 – 25, 21 – 25).
- Score: NGU – 0 / Ohio State – 3
- Records: NGU 0 – 1 / Ohio State – 1 – 0
- Location: Columbus, Ohio (Ohio State University)
How it Happened
- The Crusaders hit just .149 as a team while the Buckeyes hit at a .364 clip. NGU led early on in the first set at 4-2 but saw Ohio State storm back to score the next four points.
- The Buckeyes gained control of the set after embarking on an 11-3 run which put NGU in an 18-8 hole en route to a 25-13 set one defeat.
- North Greenville trailed by four points early in the second frame but battled back to even it a 10-10.
- North Greenville kept it close for much of the remaining points. A Matthew McManaway block made it 12-14 while a Ben Hamsho service ace cut the lead to 13-14.
- Ohio State answered again though with a quick 5-1 streak to take a 14-19 lead. NGU cut it six later but a Nick Laffin kill finished off the second set and put North Greenville in an 0-2 set deficit.
- The final set of the night would also be the closest as NGU continued to battle, taking a 13-12 lead midway through on a kill from Jackson Gilbert.
- The one point North Greenville lead would eventually balloon to 17-14 on a kill from Hamsho.
- Ohio State trailed 18-15 later but scored the next five points to take an 18-20 edge. North Greenville cut it to one point on a Gilbert kill but later saw the deficit increase to 20-23.
- North Greenville got some help with an Ohio State service error to cut the score to 21-23 but the Buckeyes ended NGU’s bid for an upset, scoring the next to points to earn the win.
Inside the NGU Box Score
- Jackson Gilbert led North Greenville with six kills in his first game as a Crusader.
- Matthew McManaway and Aaron Campbell both finished with five kills each.
- Jake Boldog dished out 20-assists with four digs on defense while Dustin King led the team with five digs on defense.
Inside the Ohio State Box Score
- Reese Devilbiss led all players with 11-kills while Thomas Sanil had 32-assists.
- Nicolas Szerszen led all players with eight digs while Blake Leeson had three assisted blocks.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders will open the home portion of their schedule at 7 pm against Queens University on January 9th.