Tigerville - North Greenville men's lacrosse advanced to the Conference Carolinas semifinals for the second consecutive season, using a big second half to down Chowan in the first round.
- Score: Crusaders - 15 / Hawks - 8
- Records: North Greenville 8 - 8 / Chowan University 8 - 8
- Location: Pepsi Stadium (North Greenville University)
How it Happened
- Tuesday's quarterfinal was a rematch of Saturday's regular-season finale, a game that was decided in the final minutes.
- It would not be as close this time but the encore looked much different in the first five minutes with the Hawks turning a pair of NGU turnovers into an early 2 - 0 lead.
- North Greenville quickly replied with goals from Alex Proly and Blake Thompson which notched the game up at 2 – 2 with 10:37 left in the first quarter.
- Chowan picked up in the first quarter where it left off on Saturday, pressuring North Greenville’s offense and causing early turnovers.
- The Hawks tacked on another transition goal with 5:05 left in the first quarter on Alex Clabaugh’s shot from Josh Nicholson to take a 3 – 2 edge.
- The Crusaders responded to the Hawks with three consecutive scores sparked by a pair of one-timers from Ethan Landreth which moved NGU in front 5 – 3 with 9:31 left in the game.
- Austin Lee pulled the Hawks to within one score at 8:28 with a score that made it 5 – 4 but the Crusaders answered with another big run.
- Austin Dixon added his first score of the game while Ethan Landreth scored back-to-back goals, including one with nine seconds left to make it 8 – 4 at intermission.
- NGU extended the lead to 9 – 4 early on in the third quarter but the Hawks continued to claw, answered with goals at 6:55 and 5;11 to pull to within three goals.
- The Crusaders once again proved that all good things come in threes, answering with three consecutive scores for the third time to pad the lead at 12 – 6. Austin Dixon scored his second of the game while Chris Carpenter and Taylor Lanzillo added scores during the stretch.
- Once more NGU answered a Chowan score with three unanswered shots in the fourth quarter. Jon Watson added his first goal of the season while Austin Zumbado and Kenny Wessels both got in on the action as NGU extended the lead to eight goals.
- The Hawks added one more score with 7:11 on the clock but NGU ran out the final 7:10 of Wednesday’s quarterfinal to set up a second meeting with Limestone College in the semis.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- Ethan Landreth had a big game for North Greenville while Austin Dixon added two goals.
- Chris Carpenter scored three for the Crusaders while six others had one score for North Greenville.
- Defensively Logan Bryant had nine grounders to lead all players while Jon Watson had six groundballs to go along with one goal.
- Jaren Szfranksi finished the day with a game-high four caused turnovers while Zach Randolph had three.
- Braeden Dixon earned the win in the net and collected seven saves in the process.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders advance to the semifinals and will take on #1 Limestone College on Friday at 4 PM in Pepsi Stadium.