Murfreesboro – North Greenville men’s lacrosse locked up a first-round home game for the Conference Carolinas tournament on Saturday edging Chowan University in the final regular season game of 2018.
- Score: Crusaders – 12 / Hawks – 10
- Records: North Greenville 7 – 8 (3 – 3) / Chowan 8 – 7 (2 – 4)
- Location: Hawks Field (Murfreesboro, North Carolina)
How it Happened
- Hunter Burgett and Chris Carpenter put NGU up early with a pair of goals in the opening quarter.
- Tyler Holland followed with a score in the final five minutes of the opening frame that put the Crusaders up 3 – 0 at the end of one.
- The Hawks made it uncomfortable for NGU early on in the second. Alex Clabaugh and Anthony Alfonso scored back-to-back goals less than three minutes into the second quarter to cut North Greenville’s lead to one.
- Ethan Landreth answered to make it 4 – 1 but Chowan evened it up, later on, scoring once more in the second and again to open up the third, pulling even to NGU at 4 – 4.
- The Hawks jumped out in front for the first time on Saturday making it 6 – 5 on another score by Clabaugh after the two teams traded fifth goals.
- The rest of the way would be a battle but North Greenville was able to gain ground and eventually pull ahead for good.
- Austin Dixon made it 6 – 6 with a score while Logan Bryant followed with a goal to give NGU a 7 – 6 lead.
- The Hawks had answers for all of NGU’s challenges in the final 15-plus minutes of game time, tying the score three times including coming back from two goals down to even it at 9 – 9.
- The Crusaders pulled ahead once more when Alex Proly made it 10 – 9 but Chowan once again answered with a goal to tie it up at 10 on Nick LaVoy’s one-timer.
- Ethan Landreth would end the suspense though in the final three minutes, scoring twice to give NGU a 12 – 10 lead with 2:02 left.
- The Hawks had one final shot in the final 90 – seconds but Braeden Dixon turned away a LaVoy shot and NGU disrupted a pair of clear attempts for the Hawks, forcing a pair of turnovers to secure the two-goal victory.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- Ethan Landreth finished the weekend with a four-goal day, tacking on four groundballs on defense to help the Crusaders.
- Chris Carpenter and Hunter Burgett both tacked on a pair of goals while Logan Bryant had one score and picked up 11 grounders.
- Austin Dixon had eight groundballs on defense and led the Crusaders with three caused turnovers.
- In the net for NGU was fixture Braeden Dixon who earned his seventh win as a starter and collected seven saves.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders earned themselves a rematch with the Hawks, this time in the quarterfinals of the Conference Carolinas Playoffs. North Greenville will host Chowan on Tuesday night at 6 PM in Tigerville.