Wingate, N.C. – North Greenville men’s cross country earned a 15th place at the NCAA Division II regionals on Saturday afternoon to conclude the 2017 season.
- Finish: 15th / 23
- Location: Wingate, North Carolina
- Host: Wingate University
How it Happened
- Ben Sessions turned NGU’s best finish with a time of 33:19.34. He finished 26th overall out of 153-runners and accounted for the only top-30 finish for North Greenville.
- Brooks Hovis was next for North Greenville with a finish in 45th. Hovis clocked in at 34:04.75.
- Logan Childs finished with a time of 36:11.07 while Jonathan Keller finished with a time of 36:26.48.
- Dominic Powell ran a 37:09.76 with Trey Stewart finishing right behind him with a time of 37:13.65.
- Austin Nobles rounded out the North Greenville runners with a time of 40:25.42.
- The Men finished third amongst Conference Carolinas teams that competed on Saturday. The 15th place finish ties a school record for best finish at an NCAA Regional race.
Top Team Finishers
- Mount Olive
- Mars Hill
From Coach Stober
"I can't put into words what this group of men have done this year. We were picked to finish sixth in our conference at the beginning of the season. We finished third...missing second by only a few points. Not only that, but these men went to regionals for the first time in four years...AND they tied the school record for highest team finish for the men's program at a region meet. Our team motto all year has been "Changing the Culture." Our main goal for this year was to forever change the culture of the XC program. These men did EXACTLY that. They bought in from day one, and they remained focused on our goal since day one of summer training. Today was the culmination of five months of this
"Today was the culmination of five months of committing ourselves to this idea of "Changing the Culture" of this program. I can't express how grateful I am for this group of men. This team will forever have a special place in my heart. This team is the foundation of what is to come for NGU XC. I wouldn't want any other group of guys to be that foundation. This has been a memorable season...all due to a memorable group of young men. You did it men...the culture has been changed. Well done, and thank you."