Tigerville, S.C. – The North Greenville Crusaders won by a single point for the second straight game, defeating the Lions of Emmanuel College 66-65. NGU trailed by nine at the half, but a 45-point second half was just enough to get the win. Daniel Burchette scored a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds. DJ Brooks led in points with 16.
- Score: North Greenville – 66 / Emmanuel - 65
- Records: NGU 8-12, 4-7 CC / EC 12-9, 6-5 CC
- Location: Tigerville, S.C. (Hayes Gymnasium)
How it Happened
- Scoring was at a premium at the beginning of the first half. After five minutes played, the score was just 5-3 in favor of NGU. The next few minutes saw North Greenville jump to a 12-5 lead, but Emmanuel quickly responded by scoring eight consecutive points take a one-point lead. Tied at 15 with 9:57 remaining in the half, the Lions then scored nine of the next eleven points to take a 24-17 lead. Emmanuel led 30-21 at the end of the half. Daniel Burchette led the half in points for NGU with seven.
- The Crusaders came out strong to begin the second half, scoring the first six points to cut the deficit to three. With 14:27 remaining, the score was once again tied at 34. NGU would then go on a run, leading by as much as seven. However, the Lions refused to go away, and eventually came back to tie the game at 59 with 4:05 remaining. With less than two minutes left, a three-pointer by Jalon Cokley would put the Crusaders ahead by three. Each team's next possession resulted in points before a tip-in by the Lions made the score 66-65 in favor of NGU with 48 seconds remaining. Emmanuel would end up with the final possession but was unable to score, giving the Crusaders the victory.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- Daniel Burchette scored a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds. He was the only player for North Greenville to play all 40 minutes.
- DJ Brooks led the Crusaders in points with 16. It was not a big day behind the arc as Brooks led the team in three-pointers with just two.
- Roderick Howell had yet another strong game with 13 points and 8 rebounds.
Inside the Emmanuel Box Score
- Kendrick Colvin neared a double-double with 14 points and 8 rebounds. He led the team in both statistics for the game.
- Kurtis Robinson scored 9 points and recorded 3 rebounds and 3 steals.
- Emerson McClung scored 9 points and had 2 rebounds.
Next Time Out
- North Greenville will go back on the road to face the Mount Olive Trojans in Mount Olive, NC this Saturday at 6:00 PM.