Cokley's career day not enough as NGU falls to Chowan in OT
Tigerville, S.C. – The Crusaders erased an 18-point, second-half lead but suffered a heartbreaking 79-77 overtime loss to Chowan University.
- Score: NGU – 77 / Chowan – 79 (Overtime)
- Records: NGU 6-11 / Chowan 7 – 8
- Location: Hayes Gymnasium (Tigerville, South Carolina)
How it Happened
- North Greenville jumped out to a five-point lead after a Tommy Wade three-pointer and a pair of free throws from Jalon Cokley.
- Chowan evened the score at six points a few possessions later and took the lead the next time down the floor on a three-pointer from Robert Grubbs. The Hawks would lead North Greenville until late in the fourth quarter.
- The Crusaders trailed by 10-points at halftime.
- North Greenville trailed 65-49 with 10:54 left in the game before its climb back into contention.
- Daniel Burchette and Jalon Cokley sparked a 20-3 run, capped by a three-pointer from Cokley which earned NGU a one-point lead, the team’s first since the opening minutes of the first half.
- The Hawks would eventually tie the game at 71-71, leaving North Greenville with the chance to win it at the buzzer but DJ Brooks’ jumper drew rim but fell harmless as the buzzer sounded.
- Chowan broke a two-minute scoring drought to open up the overtime period with a three-pointer to gain a 74-71 lead.
- North Greenville cut it to one point on a pair of shots by Brooks at the charity stripe, later tying it at 72-72 on a lay-up from Tommy Wade.
- Chowan capitalized on its chance to sink the game-winner when Gus Rowland drove right and laid it up over an NGU defender to make it 79-77 with just one second on the clock.
- NGU inbounded but was unable to get a shot off as the time on the clock ran out.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- Jalon Cokley turned in a season and career-high on Thursday, scoring 33-points on eight of 11 shooting. Cokley knocked down seven of eight three-pointers.
- Daniel Burchette finished the day with 19-points and a team-high 11-rebounds for a double-double.
Inside the Chowan Box Score
- Gus Rowland led the team with 22-points while Tim Hewett finished with 19-points.
- Robert Grubbs added 17-points with Dino Muminovic and Trevis Buckhanon added 11 and 10 points respectively.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders travel to Wilson, North Carolina to take on Barton College on January 23rd at 7:30 pm.