Tigerville, SC – Daniel Burchette had yet another career night as the Crusaders beat the Barton Bulldogs in overtime 86-84. Burchette, who scored a career-high 30 points, scored the game-winning basket to put NGU up by two. The Bulldogs were able to put up one final shot, but the ball bounced off the rim as time expired to give North Greenville the win.
- Score: North Greenville – 86 / Barton – 84
- Location: Hayes Gymnasium (Tigerville, SC)
- Records: NGU – 6-9, 2-5 CC / BC - 9-8, 5-2 CC
How it Happened
- North Greenville led for the majority of the first half, including the first nine points of the game. NGU's defense recorded five blocks in the first half, with two of them by Kovi Tate. The two teams went into the locker room with a score of 30-29 in favor of the Bulldogs. Matt Moore led the Crusaders in points in the first half with 12.
- Both teams continued to fight for lead throughout the second half. Kovi Tate was able to get the crowd at Hayes Gymnasium going with two dunks. With 22 seconds remaining in the half, things were looking good for the Crusaders as they had the largest lead of the game for either team with six. However, Barton continued to fight, and a three-point play by the Bulldogs cut the deficit to three with 13 seconds left. A missed free throw by NGU kept their lead at three. Barton's Zach Grant took a three-point shot with 6 seconds to go, but missed. Jeff Gordon came up with an offensive rebound, rushed back out to the perimeter, and took a desperation final second shot which went in to send the game into overtime. The Crusaders shot a staggering 77.3% in the second half. Burchette led in points with 14.
- The Bulldogs took the first two point of overtime, but North Greenville scored the next six to take a 78-74 lead. With the lead changing two more times, the game was once again tied with 39 seconds remaining. A turnover by Barton gave NGU the ball with 6 seconds remaining. DJ Brooks inbounded the ball to Burchette who put up a layup to take the lead. The Bulldogs put up one last shot, which bounced off the rim to give NGU a thrilling win.
- Daniel Burchette - 30 Points (Career High), 9 Rebounds, 5 Assists
- Matt Moore - 18 Points, 4 Three-Point Field Goals, 3 Rebounds
- Jalon Cokley - 10 Points, 2 Three-Point Field Goals, 2 Rebounds
- - 22 Points, 8 Rebounds, 2 Assists
Next Time Out
- North Greenville gets a short rest as they return to Hayes Gymnasium Monday to face the Trojans of Mount Olive at 4:00 PM.