North Greenville Opens Up Conference Play With Overtime Loss to Erskine
Tigerville, S.C. – In the second game of the night to end in overtime at Hayes Gymnasium, the Crusaders came up short against the Erskine Flying Fleet 70-68.
- Score: North Greenville – 68 / Erskine – 70
- Location: Hayes Gymnasium (Tigerville, South Carolina)
- Records: NGU – 3-2, 0-1 CC / EC – 2-3, 1-0 CC
How it Happened
- NGU started on a strong note by scoring the first eight points of the game. The first half nearly turned into a three-point contest as 24 were attempted between the two teams. Nine of Erskine's thirteen field goals in the first half were three-pointers while the Crusaders made thirteen field goals with five of them in three-point territory. North Greenville took an eleven point lead into halftime while shooting a 50% field goal percentage.
- North Greenville had their largest lead of the night at 14 with 17:04 left in the second half. A Tommy Wade dunk a few minutes later made it seem that the Crusaders had the momentum along with their large lead. However, after a layup by Kovi Tate with twelve minutes remaining, North Greenville went seven minutes without scoring a point, which allowed the Flying Fleet to chip away at the deficit. Erskine eventually took their first lead of the night with a 53-52 score with five minutes remaining in the second half. The two teams would trade the lead for the next several minutes. With NGU trailing 60-58 with 35 seconds remaining, a huge three-pointer by Matt Moore gave the Crusaders the lead back. Erskine would call a timeout and set themselves up for one last possession. This possession resulted in a foul with one second left. Trent Smoot took the free throws for Erskine. Smoot missed the first free throw to the delight of the crowd at Hayes Gymnasium. With all of the pressure on him, Smoot drained the second free throw to tie the game. The Crusaders were unable to get a shot off, forcing the game into overtime.
- In overtime, the Flying Fleet turned to points in the paint. Six of Erskine's nine points in overtime were shot from. NGU turned to their three-point game in overtime but made only one of their four three-point attempts. Trailing 70-68, North Greenville did get the last shot of the game but was missed, giving the Flying Fleet the win.
The Good Guys
- Daniel Burchette - 21 Points, 4 Three-Point Field Goals, 8 Rebounds, 5 Assists
- Matt Moore - 16 Points, 4 Three-Point Field Goals,
- DJ Brooks - 9 Points, 2 Three-Point Field Goals, 4 Rebounds, 2 Assists
The Other Team
- Trent Smoot - 20 Points, 7 Rebounds
- Austin Venable - 14 Points, 11 Rebounds, 2 Assists
- Thomas Nolan - 10 Points
Next Time Out
- Up next for the Crusaders is a weekend trip to Melbourne, Florida to take part in the Florida Tech Thanksgiving Tournament. The first game is Friday, November 24th against Union University at 3:00 PM.