Crusaders upend Coker in overtime thriller
Newberry, S.C. —North Greenville tipped off the 2017 season in thrilling fashion earning a 92-84 win over Coker College in the season opener.
- Score: NGU – 92 / Coker – 84
- Location: Newberry College (Newberry, South Carolina)
- Records: North Greenville 1 – 0 / Coker 0 – 1
How it Happened
- The Cobras led by as many as 16-points, a lead, which came at the 18:38 mark of the second period.
- North Greenville’s offense started to click in the second half though as the Crusaders began to chip away at the deficit.
- The Crusaders would go on a 24-8 run which spanned around eight minutes, eventually taking a one-point edge on a pair of free throws from Kovi Tate.
- NGU would lead 8-77 with 28-seconds left but a foul on a three-point attempt would lead to the game-tying scores, making it 80-80 eventually sending the game into overtime.
- The Cobras would draw first blood in the overtime but Matt Moore would answer with a three-pointer while Moses Merritt added a but kept to give NGU an 85-82 edge.
- The Crusaders would maintain control through the final four minutes of the overtime period as they improved to 1-0 on the season, winning the season opener for the second consecutive season.
The Good Guys
- NGU shot just 40-percent as a team in the first half but rebounded nicely in the second period to knock down 20 of 37 shots.
- Tommy Wade led NGU with 18-points and 11-rebounds for a double-double while Daniko Jackson had 16-points.
- Matt Moore Tacked on 15-points and hit two of three from deep. Daniel Burchette added 12-points while DJ Brooks scored 10.
The Other Team
- Donte Samuel led all scorers with 22-points while Khalil Halls added 20.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders will wrap up the CC vs. SAC Challenge on Saturday with a 4:30 tipoff with Newberry College.