Florence, AL – North Greenville battled evenly with Division – I North Alabama on Saturday but the Lions edged the Crusaders with a field goal and a last-second interception.
- Score: Crusaders – 28 | Lions – 31
- Records: North Greenville 4 – 6 | North Alabama 7 – 3
- Location: Braly Stadium [Florence, Alabama]
How it Happened
- A slow start for offensively for both teams in the first quarter. A safety and a field goal in the first quarter put the Crusaders in an early 5 – 0 hole.
- Jarvion Miller-Norman put North Greenville on the board on the ensuing drive as he broke through for a 45 – yard scamper to give the Crusaders a 7 – 5 lead after the extra point.
- NGU went scoreless on its next two drives after a fumble and a missed field goal. The fumble resulted in a touchdown for the Lions, a score putting UNA in front 12 – 7 with 12:07 left in the half.
- North Greenville would get a couple of extra opportunities in the second quarter with an Aaron Watson interception and a fumble recovered by Kyle Belack on a misplayed punt.
- The Crusaders would punch in the second opportunity as Donnie Backer hooked up with Dimajiay Rooks from 24 – yards out to give NGU a 14 – 12 lead at intermission.
- North Alabama came out in the second half and scored on its first two drives. A touchdown on the opening drive and a field goal with 1:18 left in the quarter made it 21 – 14 in favor of the Lions.
- The Crusaders were held scoreless in the third quarter but another long run, this time a 36 – yard sprint by Donnie Baker evened up the tally at 21 – 21 with 14:53 left in regulation.
- NGU’s game equaling touchdown sparked a back and forth the fourth period with each team scoring one more touchdown.
- The Lions tacked on a score with 7:21 on the game clock with a one-yard score to make it 28 – 28.
- North Greenville took over with 7:21 on the clock and put together one of its most impressive scoring drives of the season, marching 67 – yards on 12 – plays. The drive was capped with a Baker to Kyle Belack touchdown pass on 4th and 10 from the 14 – yard line, evening it at 28 – 28 with 3:13 left.
- The Lions tacked on a field goal with just over a minute left in the game to take a 31 – 28 lead over North Greenville.
- The Crusaders took over with a chance to even it or take the lead, marching the ball all the way down inside of UNA territory but an interception with 12 – seconds left, NGU’s second turnover of the game would seal the deal for Division I North Alabama.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- Donnie Baker finished the day with a career-high 252 passing yards and a pair of passing touchdowns. He was 18 of 30 on the day. He also tacked on a rushing touchdown.
- Jarvion Miller-Norman led the ground attack with 86 – yards on 11 carries with a score. Baker ended the afternoon with 59 rushing yards.
- Christian Bruce led all receivers with five catches for 58 – yards while Demajiay Rooks had 59 – yards on four catches and a touchdown.
- Lucas Catalfomo had five catches for 54 – yards while Belack finished the game with the team’s other receiving score.
- Dominique Hunt finished the game with a team-high nine tackles and .5 – tackles for a loss.
- Seth Laughter and Eddie Studyvance had five tackles each and two tackles for a loss on the day. Laughter finished with a sack in his final game of the day while Chauncey Haney also had a sack.
- Aaron Watson reeled in his sixth interception of the season while Jeremiah Bogan had a pair of break-ups.
- Kyle Belack added a fumble recovery to round out his day.
Wrap - Up
- The Crusaders finish the season 4 - 6 with a 3 - 4 mark in Gulf South Conference play.