Melbourne, FL – North Greenville football dropped its third straight contest on Saturday after Florida Tech sent the Crusaders home with a 37 – 7 loss.
- Score: Crusaders – 7 | Panthers – 37
- Records: North Greenville 4 – 5 [3 – 4] | Florida Tech 7 - 3 [4 - 3]
- Location: Panther Stadium [Melbourne, Florida]
How it Happened
- North Greenville’s first two plays from scrimmage resulted in a pair of turnovers as the Panthers picked up a Dashonnell Wright fumble and then picked off a Donnie Baker pass.
- The two possession changes resulted in just six points as NGU’s defense was able to limit the damage.
- NGU turned the ball over three times in the first quarter which resulted in 13 – points for the Panthers. Tech added another touchdown after a North Greenville punt to make it 20 – 0 at the start of the second quarter.
- Florida Tech added two more scores in the second including a third field goal and a touchdown to make it 30 – 0 at halftime.
- North Greenville’s first drive of the second half looked promising as Baker led the Crusaders 41 – yards on eight plays. EJ Humphrey capped the drive with a one-yard run leaving 9:34 on the clock.
- North Greenville’s defense kept the FIT offense in check for most of the second half. The Panthers added a score late in the third frame but were held scoreless in the final 19 – minutes.
- NGU’s offense was unable to take advantage of its second half opportunities save the third quarter touchdown.
- NGU finished the game with five turnovers and punted on four of its six second-half drives. The Crusaders scored and threw an interception on the other two drives.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- Donnie Baker led the NGU offense and finished 12 of 30 with 110 – yards through the air.
- EJ Humphrey led the Crusaders with 64 – yards on the ground with a touchdown on 16 – carries.
- Christian Bruce was NGU’s leading receiver with 39 – yards on three receptions. Demajiay Rooks had five catches for 36 – yards.
- Zeke Stringer put together a career day on defense, racking up nine tackles including a career-high five for a loss with three sacks, also a career high.
- Devon Turman had six tackles including three backfield stops while Brandon Burger led the team with 12 total tackles.
- Johnny Worthy accounted for NGU’s only turnover, picking off a Florida Tech pass in the fourth frame.
Inside the FIT Box Score
- Trent Chmelik finished with a game-high 178 – yards passing and was 13 of 18 with three touchdowns and an interception.
- Antwuan Haynes had 88 – yards on 22 – carries while Chmelik added a rushing touchdown.
- Romell Guerrier led all pass catchers with 86 – yards on four receptions with two scores.
Next Time Out
- North Greenville wraps up the 2018 regular season next weekend with a 6 PM kickoff with North Alabama.