Crusaders fall to Lenoir-Rhyne
Tigerville – North Greenville suffered its first loss of the season on Saturday as Lenoir-Rhyne downed NGU 51 – 24.
- Score: Crusaders – 24 | Bears – 51
- Records: North Greenville 1 – 1 (0 – 0) | Lenoir-Rhyne 1 – 1 (0 – 0)
- Location: Tigerville, South Carolina | Younts Stadium
- The Loss to Lenoir-Rhyne is the second straight for North Greenville and extends the series lead for the Bears to 7 – 3
- How it Happened
- The Crusaders took a 3 – 0 lead in the first quarter when Matt Gravely capped a 15 – play, 69 – yard march with his third kick of the season.
- NGU held the Bears scoreless for the entire first period but Lenoir-Rhyne kicked off the second quarter with a score less than a minute into the quarter to take a 7 – 3 lead.
- The first touchdown for Lenoir-Rhyne was the first of four scores in the frame that extended LR’s lead to 27 – 3.
- North Greenville’s first touchdown of the night came as the first half wound down. Will Hunter found Demajiay Rooks for the score which cut LR’s lead to 17 points at the half.
- Lenoir-Rhyne wasted little time in the second half as TJ Smith took a Grayson Willingham pass 73 – yards for a quick strike that made it 34 – 10.
- The Bears piled on 17 – more points including a field goal in the third a pair of touchdowns in the fourth to take a 51 – 10 lead.
- NGU tacked on a pair of late scores as Will Hunter found Lucas Catalfomo for a 16 – yard and 18 – yard touchdown which cut the final deficit to 51 – 24.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- Hunter finished 29 of 41 with 324 – yards and three touchdowns. The Bears also picked off a pair of passes.
- Jarvion Miller Norman led the rushing attack with 41 – yards on six carries.
- Catalfomo finished as the team’s leading receiver, catching nine passes for 105 – yards and a pair of scores. Rooks added 71 – yards and a score.
- Desmond Williams led the defense with seven tackles including two for a loss and a fumble recovery.
- Aaron Watson picked off an LR pass while Johnny Worthy and Travis Beatty had a pair of pass breakups each.
- Ken Drummond led all players with 130 – yards on five returns including a long of 44 – yards.
Inside the LR Box Score
- T.J. Smith led the Bears with 108 – yards receiving with a pair of touchdowns.
- Zavion Huff led the rushing attack with 85 – yards on six carries with a pair of touchdowns.
- Quentin Hayes led LR with seven tackles defensively.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders enjoy a second straight week in Tigerville as they host Mississippi College at 7 PM in the first official Gulf South Conference game in program history.