NGU's season ends with loss to West Alabama
Livingston, AL—The 2017 football season came to an end on Saturday as the Crusaders fell to West Alabama 29-26.
- Score: NGU – 26 / UWA – 29
- Location: University of West Alabama (Livingston Alabama)
- Records: North Greenville 4 – 6 / #22 West Alabama – 9-2
- Saturday’s game marked the official end of North Greenville’s “independent” classification.
- The Crusaders will enter their first season of Gulf South Conference play next season, the first time NGU has called a conference home as a football program in the NCAA.
- Saturday’s game was the second meeting between NGU and West Alabama after opening the 2016 season in Tigerville against each other.
- The Series is now tied 1-1. Each of the first two games were decided by an average of two points.
How it Happened
- West Alabama struck first with a 32-yard touchdown pass less than five minutes into the game. Corey Davis was on the receiving end of the first touchdown and one of three thrown by Harry Satterwhite.
- NGU wasted little time responding as Ashton Heard cashed one, also from 32-yards. It was a quick drive for North Greenville that lasted just four plays on 75-yards.
- Satterwhite would throw two more touchdown passes in the first half but a missed extra point would leave the Tigers at 20-points at intermission.
- North Greenville tacked on a touchdown when Will Hunter found Heard from seven yards out to make it 14-13 after a failed extra point.
- The Crusaders would also get a field goal from Gravely to make it 20-16 but the Tigers got the last score of the period with a field goal of their own to make it 23-16 at intermission.
- Touchdowns would be hard to come by in the second half as the defenses locked down.
- North Greenville’s Matt Gravely drew first blood as he knocked down a 47-yarder to cut the West Alabama lead to 23-19.
- The Tigers would answer in the opening minutes of the fourth quarter from 46-yards out, which extended the lead back to seven points.
- The only touchdown came a couple minutes after the Tigers took a 26-19 lead. Tristan Jackson scampered in from one yard out to even the score at 26-26 after a Gravely extra point.
- West Alabama would add a field goal with 6:32 left in the game to take a 29-26 lead.
- North Greenville had three different chances in the final minutes of the game to even the score or take the lead but the West Alabama defense held the Crusaders scoreless, forcing NGU to punt while also holding on an NGU attempt to convert on a fourth down and three.
- NGU’s final play, a desperate heave to the end-zone was intercepted as the clock ran out.
The Good Guys
- Hunter finished the day with 289-yards on 20-completions. He also three a touchdown but had three interceptions.
- Ashton Heard led the team with 115-yards on 23-carries and a touchdown.
- Defensively Johnny Worthy led NGU with 11-tackles including a tackle for a loss and a pair of breakups.
- Cam Wrice had the only turnover for NGU with an interception in the fourth quarter.
The Other Team
- Harry Satterwhite threw for 367-yards against NGU’s defense, a season-high for opposing quarterbacks.
- Lakendric Thomas was held to 99-yards with no touchdowns.
Next Time Out
- 2018 will be an exciting time for North Greenville football as it opens up Gulf South Conference play.