Saturday, September 12, 2009

Tigerville, SC – Aaron Jackson rushed for 134 yards and Shane McSweeney threw for 219 yards as sixth ranked NCAA Division III powerhouse Wesley College of Delaware (2-0) defeated North Greenville 28-3 at Younts Stadium. 

Wesley, which is ranked 6th in the NCAA III national poll,  rode 11 hours on the bus from Dover, Delaware, and were played even by the Crusaders through much of the first half.

In theory, after a 0-2 start, a home game against a Division III team would be a breather, but the talented Wolverines used a speedy offensive behind a big offensive line to pile up 483 yards of total offense to a meager 229 for NGU.  North Greenville was led by freshman quarterback Aaron Seigler who had 80 yards rushing, but most of his came on a 55 yard gain in the first quarter.
North Greenville got on the board first when freshman kicker Zach Sears booted a 24 yard field goal to put the Crusaders up 3-0 with 9:33 left in the first quarter.  The teams battled on defense through much of the second quarter, but the Wolverines’ Mike Asiedu recovered a Montez Hatten fumble at the 44 yard.  Wesley quarterback Shane McSweeney rushed for 10 yards and then scampered 34 yards through the line to put the Wolverines up 7-3 with 5:42 left in the first.
North Greenville was driving to go ahead before halftime, but a fluke play gave the ball back to Wesley.  Taylor Malphrus caught a Richard Harb pass at the Wesley 11, but the ball popped out of his hands directly in to the waiting hands of Chris Mayes with 54 seconds left.  The Wolverines then drove 90 yards in 51 seconds to take a 14-3 halftime lead with 14 seconds left when McSweeney connected with Ellis Krout on a high pass on a jump ball in the end zone.
Aaron Jackson scored on a five yard run from five yards out and McSweeney added another touchdown after NGU’s third turnover to lead 28-3 with 11:14 left in the game.
“Wesley is a very well established Division III program, and we just didn’t execute on offense like we needed to during this game, “NGU head coach Jamey Chadwell said.  “We got off to a good start, but we turned the ball over late in the first half on the interception and they drove down and scored right before the half when it looked like they were going to run the clock out.  The tide turned and we just couldn’t get back in it.”
“Our defense was on the field for too many snaps and they were out there too long,” he added.  “We’re still learning to play the game and it seemed that whenever we had a chance we’d jump off sides, or drop a pass, but we just need to keep working to get better.”
NGU (0-3) now faces a difficult schedule with four consecutive road games before returning for their next home game Oct. 17.  NGU will be a Lenoir Rhyne (NC) next Saturday at 7:00 p.m.