Tigerville, S.C. – Jared Williams and Josh Black combined for six hits and four runs while Jeff Chandler also scored a pair and added an RBI as NGU staved off elimination with a win over the second-seeded Georgia College Bobcats.
- Score: Crusaders – 10 / Bobcats – 6
- Records: North Greenville 45-9 / Georgia College 44-12
- Location: Ray & Bea Dillard Field (Tigerville, South Carolina)
- NCAA Southeast Regional
How it Happened
- North Greenville broke through first with a run in the top half of the first inning as Connor Grant singled in Josh Black.
- The Cougars evened it at one in the first and then tacked on another pair of runs with the help of a pair of NGU throwing errors to take a 3 – 1 lead.
- The North Greenville bats quickly responded. A solo blast from Alex Williams made it 3 – 2 while a Josh Black double set the table for NGU to tie it as he came around to score on a Utah Jones RBI base knock.
- The NGU second frame set the tone for the final seven innings in a game, which saw four lead changes and five ties.
- The Crusaders found themselves down in the scoring column in each of the fifth and six innings, including seeing the Bobcats score a pair of runs in the sixth inning to take back a 5 – 4 edge once held by NGU.
- Jeffrey Chandler tied it at 6 – 6 in the visitor’s half of the eighth while Josh Black dropped down a perfect squeeze bunt to score Alex Williams for the go-ahead run (7 – 6).
- Reliever Brent Herlong worked around a one-out single in the bottom side of the eighth coaxing a pop-up and another grounder to send the game into the ninth.
- North Greenville got some insurance in the ninth inning. Ryan Brown would lead off the inning with a single, later coming around to score on a single from Jared Williams to make it 8 – 6.
- The biggest blow of the inning came from Alex Williams who once again delivered, slicing a liner into center field which plated a pair and extended the lead to 10 – 8.
- Herlong allowed a double in the home half of the ninth inning but cleaned up the threat, coaxing a fly out to left center to put away the Bobcats for the final time this season while extending his team’s for at least one more day.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- Josh Black finished the win over Georgia College going 3 for 5 with a pair of RBI and two runs scored.
- Jared Williams also finished with three hits (3 for 4) with two runs and an RBI while Jeffrey Chandler tacked on a pair of hits with two RBI and a run.
- Ethan Garner started the game for NGU and threw 4.1 – innings. Kipp Rollings earned the win after pitching five innings while Brent Herlong earned the two-inning save.
Inside the North Georgia Box Score
- Matthew Miller who was 2 for 5 with two RBI led the Bobcats. Brandon Purcell also had a pair of RBI for the Bobcats on a pair of sacrifice flies.
- Charlie Hecht was credited with the loss after throwing 1.1 innings and giving up three runs on four hits. Harrison Veldsma got the start and went six innings and allowing three runs on six hits.
Beyond the Box Score
- The North Greenville bats rebounded nicely on Saturday afternoon, especially with two outs. The Crusaders finished with eight two out hits including five that scored a run.
- Saturday’s win over the Bobcats is the first NCAA Tournament win in school history after the Crusaders went 0 – 2 during their first appearance in 2015.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders await the winner of the 3 PM game between Lincoln Memorial and UNC Pembroke. NGU will take on the Rail-splitters or Braves on Sunday afternoon at 12 PM.