Burlington, NC - The North Greenville Crusaders are your 2018 Conference Carolinas Tournament Champions with a 7-2 victory over the Mount Olive Trojans. Alex Williams, Jeffrey Chandler, Blake Hamilton, and Tucker Burgess were among the all-championship team while John Jones was named Most Outstanding Player for the tournament. NGU went a perfect 4-0 in the tournament, scoring 46 runs and allowing just 10.
- Score: North Greenville – 7 / Mount Olive – 2
- Records: NGU 43-6, 21-3 CC / UMO 36-14-1, 19-5 CC
- Location: Burlington, North Carolina (Burlington Royals Stadium)
How it Happened
- Mount Olive scored in the 1st thanks to an RBI-double by Jose Lopez.
- The Crusaders responded with three runs in the 2nd. Alex Williams drove in two with a single through the right side. On the next at bat, Josh Black knocked in another run with an single to right center.
- NGU added to the lead in the 3rd when Connor Grant came through with an RBI-single through the right side.
- UMO scored its final run of the game in the 4th when James Smibert hit an RBI-double down the left field line.
- John Jones added a run with a sacrifice fly to center field in the 5th. Grant followed with a sacrifice fly for himself to add to the Crusader lead.
- North Greenville's third sacrifice fly of the game came in the 6th from Alex Williams.
- Pitching took over the remainder of the game with the final three innings going scoreless.
- With two outs in the bottom of the 9th, a fly ball to right field was caught by Jeffrey Chandler, and the celebration for NGU began with a dogpile on the left side of the infield.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- Alex Williams recorded 2 hits and led the team in RBIs with 3.
- Josh Black was effective in the leadoff spot with 2 hits, an RBI, and a run scored.
- Brent Herlong was credited with the win. He pitched 3.0 innings in relief and allowed no runs and just one hit.
Inside the Mount Olive Box Score
- Jose Lopez went 1 for 4 with a double and an RBI.
- James Smibert posted a hit and an RBI.
- Matt Heard, who started for UMO, allowed 2 earned runs in 2.0 innings pitched. He was charged with the loss.
Next Time Out
- North Greenville will head to Fort Lauderdale, Florida to face Nova Southeastern University in a three-game series that begins Friday, May 4th.