Burlington – North Greenville baseball advanced to the championship series of the Conference Carolinas Championships for the second time in school history on Sunday after a dominating win over King University.
- Score: Crusaders – 20 / King – 1
- Records: North Greenville 42 – 6 / King University – 1
- Location: Burlington Stadium (Burlington, North Carolina)
How it Happened
- Runs were in abundant supply for the Crusaders on Sunday afternoon while solid pitching held the Tornado bats at bay.
- North Greenville broke through early and scored often. The Crusaders plated three runs in the opening frame on an RBI triple from Connor Grant and an RBI groundout from Ryan Brown. Josh Black led off the inning and later came around to score in a King balk.
- North Greenville put together one of its pair of four-run innings, scoring four in the home half of the second. Alex Williams delivered an RBI single that scored a pair while a John Jones single also plated two.
- Two more runs in the third and a solo score in the fourth put North Greenville in the driver's seat, extending the lead to 10 – 0.
- Alex Williams delivered two RBI in sixth while Josh Black also plated a run with an RBI single in the same frame as NGU went up 13 – 0.
- The Crusaders got three more in the seventh and four in the eighth. A Jeffrey Chandler single and an Andrew Plunkett two-run blast did the damage in the seventh inning while three RBI singles extended the lead to 20 – 1.
- The Tornado got a run in the ninth with an RBI single but Sal Lovaglio closed the door on the Tornado to put NGU in the final series.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- The Crusaders finished the game with 20 total hits in the game against King on Sunday led by Alex Williams who was 4 for 4 with five runs batted in and three runs scored.
- Andrew Plunkett finished 2 for 5 with two runs scored and two RBI while John Jones added a pair of hits and two RBI.
- Jeff Chandler was 3 for 5 with two runs and an RBI to go along with Jared Williams 2 for 4 day with three runs scored and an RBI.
- Blake Hamilton got the win on the mound after throwing 7.1 shutout innings, striking out eight while allowing just one hit.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders will play the winner of Mount Olive and King for the championship tomorrow afternoon at 12 pm at Burlington stadium.