Burlington, N.C. - North Greenville won its second game of the Conference Carolinas Tournament in a 7-0 shutout of the Erskine Flying Fleet. With four runs scored in the first inning, NGU has now scored 13 first-inning runs in just two games in the tournament. Tucker Burgess pitched a gem, giving up no runs and striking out twelve. Utah and John Jones each recorded two hits and an RBI.
- Score: North Greenville – 7 / Erskine – 0
- Records: NGU 41-6, 21-3 CC / LC 26-25, 11-12 CC
- Location: Burlington, North Carolina (Burlington Stadium)
How it Happened
- The Crusaders got the ball rolling with four runs in the 1st. Utah Jones scored the first RBI of the game with a double to right field. John Jones hit an RBI single in the next at bat to score Utah. With two runners on base, a throwing error allowed two more runs to come in for NGU.
- Another throwing error allowed Jeffrey Chandler to score in the 3rd.
- North Greenville scored two final runs in the 6th. Andrew Plunkett drove in a run with an RBI-groundout. Eric Gilbert eventually brought in the final run with an RBI-single through the left side.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- Tucker Burgess pitched 9.0 complete innings, allowing 0 runs on 8 hits and striking out 12.
- John Jones went 2 for 4 with an RBI and 2 runs scored.
- Utah Jones also collected 2 hits and an RBI.
Inside the Erskine Box Score
- produced 3 hits, all of which were singles.
- Zach Carter pitched 6.0 innings. He allowed 4 earned runs on 7 hits, and was charged with the loss.
Next Time Out
- NGU will get an unexpected day off Saturday due to poor field conditions, and will play again Sunday with an opponent and time to be determined.