Burlington, N.C. - The Crusaders began their tournament run with a 12-7 victory over the Limestone Saints. Field conditions played a factor as both teams committed four errors. An error by Limestone in the first inning led to North Greenville scoring nine unearned runs, which proved to be enough to win the game although NGU did add three more runs in the 6th. Jared Lembcke received the win.
- Score: North Greenville – 12 / Limestone – 7
- Records: NGU 40-6, 21-3 CC / LC 20-28, 10-14 CC
- Location: Burlington, North Carolina (Burlington Stadium)
How it Happened
- North Greenville got off to a rough start in the top of the 1st by allowing three runs thanks to a three-run homer by Chase Allen.
- The deficit would be very short-lived as NGU scored nine runs in the bottom of the 1st. Connor Grant brought in the first run with an RBI-single through the right side. Two at bats later, Ryan Brown singled up the middle to score the second run. After a walk by Andrew Plunkett, Jared Williams then knocked in two runs with an single through the left side. Eric Gilbert would then walk to load the bases. Josh Black, who led off the inning, then came through with a two-RBI single up the middle. Utah Jones followed with an RBI-double down the left field line. Finally, John Jones brought in the eighth and ninth runs of the inning with a single down the right field line. All runs were unearned because of an error.
- Starting pitcher Ethan Garner pitched two three up, three down innings, but ran into some trouble in the 4th. Channing Painton tripled to center field to score a run for the Saints. Trace Whetsell followed with a sacrifice fly to center field to cut the North Greenville lead to three runs.
- The Crusaders increased their lead back to six with three runs scored in the 6th. Grant scored his second RBI of the game with a single up the middle. Jeffrey Chandler then brought in another with a double to right field. An additional run would score on the play due to an error.
- Limestone scored one more run in the 7th when Brandon Banks hit an RBI-double to left center.
- Daniel Kight entered the game to pitch in the 8th. He allowed just two hits and no runs to seal the win for NGU.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- Connor Grant recorded 3 hits and 2 RBIs.
- John Jones went 2 for 5 with 2 RBIs.
- Jared Lembcke pitched 3.0 innings. He allowed just 1 run on 2 hits and a walk. Lembcke was credited with the win.
Inside the Limestone Box Score
- Ryan Creps was the only Limestone player to record 2 hits.
- Chase Allen scored 3 RBIs with a home run.
- Robert Bamford started the game, but made it just two outs into the game. He allowed 9 runs. Although no runs were earned, he was responsible for the loss.
Next Time Out
- The Crusaders will face the Erskine Flying Fleet tomorrow at 3:00 PM. It will be an elimination game for the Fleet.