Belmont, NC - The Battle of the Crusaders began with a 5-4 North Greenville victory. In the top-25 matchup, Tucker Burgess pitched six strong innings to receive the win while Canaan Cropper pitched the final three to earn the save. Connor Grant came through with two RBIs and Ryan Brown had two hits.
- Score: NGU – 5 / Belmont Abbey – 4
- Records: NGU 13-3, 4-0 CC / BAC 16-3, 6-1 CC
- Location: Belmont, North Carolina (Abbey Yard)
How it Happened
- NGU struck first with when a fielder's choice by Connor Grant allowed Utah Jones to score in the 1st.
- Belmont Abbey tied the game in the 2nd with Luke Cureton hit his third home run of the season.
- BAC then took a one-run lead in the 4th when Jakob Rolly connected for his third home run of the year as well.
- North Greenville had a big 5th inning with four runs to take a 5-2 lead. Josh Black scored Alex Williams with a fielder's choice. Two at bats later, Ryan Brown doubled down the left field line to bring in Jared Williams. Then Grant singled to second base to score Jones. A fielding error on the same play also allowed Ryan Brown to score.
- Canaan Cropper relieved Tucker Burgess in the 7th. It was smooth sailing for Cropper until the 9th. Another home run by Rolly cut the NGU lead to two runs. With two runners on base, a sacrifice fly by Colin Rosenbaum put The Abbey within one run with the tying run at second. However, Cropper put an end to the rally with two quick outs to secure the win.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- Tucker Burgess was the starter for North Greenville and pitched six strong innings. He allowed just 2 runs off 7 hits and was credited with the win. He struck out 7 and did not give up a walk.
- Canaan Cropper pitched the final three innings to get his third save of the season. He allowed 2 runs off 2 hits, striking out 5 and allowing 1 walk.
- Ryan Brown collected 2 hits, an RBI, and a run scored.
- Connor Grant drove in 2 runs, and also had a hit.
Inside the Belmont Abbey Box Score
- Jakob Rolly hit 2 solo home runs, his 3rd and 4th of the season.
- Cameron Busby pitched seven innings, allowing 3 earned runs off 6 hits. He was charged with the loss.
- Kevin Elefante went 2 for 4 at the plate.
Next Time Out
- The Battle of the Crusaders continues tomorrow with a doubleheader beginning at 1:00 PM.