Tigerville, S.C. - The Crusaders completed a two-game sweep of the Northwood Timberwolves with a final score of 4-3. John Jones hit his first home run as a Crusader and extended his hitting streak to 11. Utah Jones provided the go-ahead run with an RBI-single in the 8th. Kipp Rollings was credited with his first win of the season while throwing just one pitch.
- Score: NGU – 4 / Northwood – 3
- Records: NGU 8-3 / NC 1-5
- Location: Tigerville, South Carolina (Ray & Bea Dillard Field at Ashmore Park)
How it Happened
- Northwood scored first with a leadoff home run by Nick Palmer to begin the game.
- The Crusaders quickly responded with two runs in the bottom of the inning. John Jones hit his first RBI with a double to right field, scoring Utah Jones. Andrew Plunkett then reached on a fielding error that allowed John Jones to score.
- NGU added a run in the 3rd when John Jones hit his first home run of the season to right field.
- The Timberwolves had a successful 4th inning with two runs scored.
- Pitching took over for the next several innings. In the top of the 8th, North Greenville ran into some trouble when the first two batters for Northwood reached base, but Daniel Kight and Kipp Rollings were both able to pitch out of a jam to prevent a run from scoring.
- After a leadoff double down the left field line by Jared Williams, the Crusaders took the lead in the bottom of the 8th when Utah Jones singled down the left field line to bring Williams.
- Avery Greer entered to pitch the 9th inning. He pitched a three up, three down inning to seal the win for NGU.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- John Jones went 2 for 4 with a double and his first home run of the season. He now has an 11-game hitting streak.
- Utah Jones recorded 2 hits and an RBI.
- Ethan Garner pitched a solid 6 innings. He allowed 3 runs on 8 hits and struck out 8.
- Avery Greer pitched a three up, three down 9th inning to earn his 3rd save of the season.
- Kipp Rollings ended up the winning pitcher, throwing just one pitch in the game.
Inside the Northwood Box Score
- recorded 2 hits in 4 at-bats.
- Nick Palmer hit his second home run of the 2018 season.
- Jake Gross pitched 7 strong innings, but was charged with the loss.
Next Time Out
- North Greenville begins conference play against the Emmanuel Lions on Friday in Tigerville. First pitch is scheduled for 3:30 pm.