Milledgeville, GA - The North Greenville Crusaders hit 19 RBIs, 6 doubles, and a home run en route to a 23-0 victory against the Paine Lions. All but two starters joined the hit column. Ethan Garner pitched just two innings, but earned the win.
- Score: NGU – 23 / Paine – 0
- Records: NGU 1-0 / Paine 0-2
- Location: Milledgeville, South Carolina (John Kurtz Field)
How it Happened
- The Crusaders got the season going on a strong note with a 5-run first inning. John Jones scored the first RBI of the season with a single to left field to bring in Ryan Brown. With the bases loaded, Alex Williams drew a walk which scored Jones. The next at-bat, Jared Williams reached on a fielder's choice. Two runs scored on the play because of a throwing error. Eric Gilbert capped off the inning with an RBI groundout to second base.
- NGU scored four additional runs in the second inning. With Ryan Brown on third base, Connor Grant reached base on a throwing error to score Brown. Later in the inning, Jared Williams hit North Greenville's first sacrifice fly of the season to score Grant. During the next at-bat, Alex Williams scored on a wild pitch. Josh Black then singled to center field to put the Crusaders up 9-0.
- North Greenville had an uneventful third inning, but did score one inning when Brown scored on a wild pitch.
- Two more runs were scored in the fourth. With two runners on base, Jared Williams singled to shortstop to bring in Williams. Eric Gilbert then struck a double to left field to score North Greenville's 12th run.
- In the fifth, North Greenville scored four additional runs to go up 16-0. With a runner on second, Jones doubled to left center to score Brown. Grant then had the hit of the game with an inside-the-park home run. Lex Tuten also scored on the play. Later in the inning, Josh Black hit a sacrifice fly to center field to make the score 16-0.
- Heading to the sixth, Toby Sponseller, who entered the game in place of Connor Grant, walked with the bases loaded. Another sub, Sean Parsons, then struck with a double to score two more runs.
- NGU continued the scoring streak with three runs in the seventh. Parsons reached on a fielding error, which scored Cameron Norgren and Connor Driscoll. Shannon Glover then scored two more with a double to left field.
- Paine put two runners on base in the 8th, but failed to score, which sealed the win and the shutout for the Crusaders.
Inside the North Greenville Box Score
- Ryan Brown led the Crusaders with three hits. He also walked, and went on to score four times.
- John Jones recorded two hits and two RBIs.
- Connor Grant hit an inside-the-park home run and had three RBIs.
Inside the Paine Box Score
- Emanuel Wilson recorded two hits.